پرستوی مهاجر: Precious memories

پرستوی مهاجر

Monday, August 30, 2004

Precious memories

Hall family photos

You don't appreciate things until you lose them

As an immigrant when I came to America I left all my belongings, treasures, and valuable things behind, although I have been carrying their memories with me all the time. In the last 19 years wherever I have gone inside or outside of the United States I have been trying to find things similar to what I left behind, the precious things which bring back memories. One day when I found a teapot in an English antique store I screamed for joy and said I found it, I found it. I immediately bought it and brought it home. This teapot is exactly the same as the one we had in our house since I remember. Although it is not the original one, it reminds me of the beautiful spring afternoons when my father, my late mother, my brothers and sisters gathered on the porch of our house drinking our afternoon tea out of a similar teapot and in gold cups, admiring the pretty red, white, pink and yellow roses in our yard. When I look at this teapot those warm and loving family scenes come back to me. It seems it was just yesterday. You might not believe that I see my mother's big beautiful , black eyes and my father's serious but kind face in this teapot. I believe she had bought that beautiful teaset during World War II, even when I hadn't been born. In that time lots of English and American merchandise came to Iran and were sold. So this teapot is very precious for me, because it makes me appreciate what I have lost, the loving family gathering in my motherland home.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home